I am an impatient painter. I want to do mine alla prima (all at once). I am learning that sometimes that is good, and sometimes it is not.
Now I am about to make corrections to a paintingI did earlier and just am not happy with. So here goes.
This is the study I did earlier this year.
I’ve been spending some extra time trying to make it better. IOu started with the apple. After day 1 the halftone shadow on the apple is still too abrupt. I’ll work on it a bit more.
Day 2 has the apple looking OK. Next I moved to work on the drapery. It’s different but no where near right!
That led me to seeing some areas to alter in the brass pot.
- the shadow is way too dark, it obscures the shape, so it’s hard to even see that it’s a pot!
- the surface doesn’t show enough reflections. It’s hard to see it a metal.
OK. It’s starting to come together. I like the pot and the branch. The aple is better now that it’s more red throughout.
The drapery has been a problem. It’s too wet to make pure white. Perhaps then the reflection will read right as reflects in the metal.
I’ll let it dry once more and work on it more in a while.